A peaceful alpine valley where there's so much to do !
If you're still looking at this website, despiste its many poor english translations, either somebody's told you this valley had to be on your bucket list, or you have a feeling it could be one of these secret paradises, unheard of, especially out of France. And you are definitely keen to plan a trip or a holiday there. And you are so right.
The Névache valley, also known as the Clarée valley (named after the river), is a gem well worth a visit. Not the right place if you fancy overcrowded ski resorts, where all you senses are overcome by powerful stimuli : the smell of sunscreen and french-frying oil, the noise of loud music and rattling chair lifts, the hustle and bustle of frantic partying skiers, etc...( Although you can find in our village a couple of old ski tows, still running for the joy of our kids).
No, none of that, here in Névache. I'm not saying we don't have fun, just that we've found another way to enjoy life.
We live in a beautiful place set near the Italian border, at the North of the Southern Alps and -you get it- at the South of the Northern Alps. And it is a privileged geographic location ! We get the snow, and, we have the sun ! How does that sound ? A little too good to be true ? Well, you'd be surprised... Come and check it out ! (Before the global warming unsettles our climate even more)
So, now, what do we do here, with some much snow and sunshine? Basically, plenty of skiing (cross-country skiing, ski-touring and nordic skiing) and hiking (snowshoeing) :
Winter activities in the Alps in Névache and the Clarée valley.
Our manager at the Echaillon, Robin, is the son of the former managers, Gérard and Anne. Gérard was one of the tourism industry precursors in the valley. Back in the mid 1970's, he was one of the first cross-country skiing instructors, and from the 1980's to recently, he was a famous dog-sledding commercial operator. So at the Echaillon, we strive to offer you the best experiences when it comes to holidays of a different type...
In the valley, we enjoy :
- 45 kilometers of cross-country-skiing tracks, groomed everyday,
- a vast and accessible playground for backcountry skiing or snowshoeing,
- a team of dog-mushers, leading their dogs in a Jack-London-book-like scenery.
Which means you have found the right place, if you're looking for a holiday stay that allows you :
- to breath in some fresh air as you're working out on your skis or snowshoes,
- to experience the magic of a snowcovered landscape,
- to learn how to lead a pack of exited dogs pulling a sled,
- to relax in an outdoor hot tub as you're star-gazing (and then dive in the snow?),
- to indulge on French gastronomy, because at the end of the day, you deserve it!